Friday, August 3, 2012

Thoughts on the effects of K-12 Curriculum

Because of the recent changes (changes every now and then) in the Basic education system, we now call freshmen students in the Junior High School as "Seventh Graders." Commonly they are referred to as  Grade 7. And because they were labeled as "graders", they still act like students from the grade school. (My classmates in MA are also airing this out.)

Being a Grade 7 adviser, I could sense that there's a lot of difference from the first year students whom I have handled four years ago. My students this year are very childlike, some are even childish! Students I am handling are very difficult to control in terms of behavior and discipline."Konting kibo't, daldal" as the Filipino phrase states. I think their behavior were affected by the term "grader" branded to them. They still think that since they are called as Grade Seven, it is ok to act like a child. And this is true to all sections from that level. Teachers in our level are having difficulty on how to solve discipline problems.

If only DepEd sensed this one before the K-12 implementation.

No comments:

Post a Comment